
Halong Bay Cruise: Santa Maria's Unforgettable Vietnam Voyage!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into the shimmering waters of Halong Bay, thanks to the Santa Maria cruise. Forget pristine travel brochures, this is going to be REAL. I'm talking unfiltered, messy-beautiful travelogue. Let's get this thing rolling!
Halong Bay Cruise: Santa Maria's Unforgettable Vietnam Voyage! - A Rambling Review
Okay, so first things first: accessibility. Now, I'm not personally in a wheelchair, but I always pay attention to this stuff because, frankly, the world should be accessible to everyone. Santa Maria… well, they try. They say they offer facilities for disabled guests, and there is an elevator (praise be!). But let’s be real, navigating a boat is inherently tricky. So, while I’m giving them kudos for trying, I’m imagining it's more accommodations than completely seamless. Definitely confirm specifics before booking if accessibility is a major factor for you.
Accessibility: Mostly Trying, But Do Your Homework
- Wheelchair accessible: Potentially, with limitations, check with them
- Elevator: Yes - Thank goodness!
- Facilities for disabled guests: Listed, confirm specifics with the cruise directly before booking.
Right, let's talk Cleanliness and Safety. In the post-pandemic world (or, you know, the still-in-it world, depending on when you're reading this), this is HUGE. Santa Maria really puts in the effort. Everywhere you look, there's hand sanitizer. Staff wear masks, daily disinfection is standard, and they even use anti-viral cleaning products and professional-grade sanitizing services. The dining setups are designed for social distancing, and they're taking hygiene seriously. This is a HUGE relief. I mean, who wants to worry about getting sick when you're supposed to be oohing and aahing over the scenery?
Cleanliness and Safety: A+ for Effort!
- Daily disinfection in common areas: ✅
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere!
- Anti-viral cleaning products: ✅
- Staff trained in safety protocol: ✅
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: ✅
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: ✅
- Rooms sanitized between stays: ✅
- Food Options: Individually-wrapped food options - Yes, good for snacking!
- Hygiene certification: Claimed, which gives me a little peace of mind.
Now, the Rooms… Ah, the rooms! They're nice. They're clean. They have everything you expect, and probably a few things you didn't (like a scale? Never weighed myself on vacation, but hey, to each their own, right?). Free Wi-Fi in all rooms is a solid win. That's essential these days. The blackout curtains are clutch for those early morning sunrises, or, you know, for sleeping in after a few too many cocktails at sunset. The air conditioning works like a dream, which is a HUGE bonus because Vietnam is HOT.
Available In All Rooms - The Nitty-Gritty
- Free Wi-Fi: A necessity of the modern world.
- Air conditioning: A lifesaver.
- Blackout curtains: YES!
- Hair dryer: Check.
- Complimentary tea, Free bottled water, Minibar: Always appreciate the little things.
- High floor: (If requested) - Great for views and tranquility.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Nice for options.
- In-room safe box: Because, you know, paranoia.
- Wake-up service: Perfect, especially if you are on a schedule for a specific activities.
- Soundproofing: Great for those looking to sleep in!
Let's face it, though, people don’t cruise for the rooms, right? They cruise for the Things to Do & Ways to Relax! And Santa Maria delivers. The Pool with view is everything you imagine it to be. Picture yourself floating, cocktail in hand, looking out over those majestic limestone karsts. That is living.
I'm not a big spa-goer usually, but the Santa Maria's option are worth at least a try. Massage after a day of kayaking? Sign me up! They’ve also got a sauna and spa/sauna, which were super tempting. I admit I did not go in due to the travel itinerary. But, you know, I regret not trying it.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Pool, Spa and Sightseeing, Oh My!
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Yes, and the view!
- Pool with view: You're going to live in it.
- Spa: Offered, and you know you deserve it.
- Massage: A must-have after the adventure days.
- Sauna, Spa/sauna: Sounds lovely when you want to relax.
- Fitness center (Gym/fitness).
- Foot bath: A very unique offering.
The Dining, Drinking, and Snacking situation is pretty darn good. The food… Well let's be honest, "buffet in restaurant" is usually a mixed bag. Sometimes, it's glorious, other times, meh.
The Santa Maria, however, manages to level up. Let me tell you about the A la carte in restaurant experience. The food was fresh, the presentation was beautiful, and the flavors? OMG. One night, I had the most incredible Vietnamese spring rolls; they were light, fresh, and bursting with flavor. The sauce… I could have bathed in it. The Asian cuisine in restaurant is a must, but they also had international options if you're feeling less adventurous. You'll definitely find something you like.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Palate-Pleasing Adventure
- Restaurants: Multiple options, including the buffet.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Essential.
- Poolside bar, Bar, Happy hour: Because, vacation.
- Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service: Fuel up for the day!
- A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant: Don't miss the spring rolls!
- Vegetarian restaurant: Good options for everyone.
- Room service [24-hour]: For late-night cravings or early morning coffee.
- Snack bar, Desserts in restaurant: All the cravings are catered.
- International cuisine in restaurant: Always welcome.
The Services and Conveniences were all there: laundry service, dry cleaning if you need it, currency exchange. The staff were helpful and friendly, and everyone spoke English.
Services and Conveniences: Smooth Sailing
- Concierge, Doorman, Front desk [24-hour]: Someone to help you with everything.
- Currency exchange: Super handy.
- Daily housekeeping: Your room will always be pristine.
- Laundry service, Dry cleaning: For when you've overdosed on delicious food and need your clothes cleaned.
- Elevator: Makes life easier.
- Luggage storage: Good option.
For the Kids:
If you're traveling with kids, Santa Maria's website shows a Kids meal, and Babysitting service, this is a very family-friendly place. Family/child friendly
Getting Around:
- Airport transfer: Crucial for a smooth arrival and departure.
- Taxi service: For exploring.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site]: Excellent to have.
Things I Loved, and Things that Could be Better:
- Loved: The unbelievably gorgeous scenery of Halong Bay, even the weather.
- Loved: The friendliness of the staff. They really made you feel welcome.
- Could be better: The initial boarding process was a bit chaotic. A little more organization there would have been appreciated.
- Could be better: The internet access could be spotty. We're always connected and sometimes that can be frustrating.
Quirky Observation:
I would strongly recommend taking a notebook and pen to write down your thoughts. Write them down. It is fantastic for later.
Final Verdict:
Santa Maria's Unforgettable Vietnam Voyage? Actually, yeah, it kinda was. The pros definitely outweighed the cons. Look, no cruise is perfect. But the Santa Maria offers a seriously lovely experience in one of the most stunning places on Earth. If you want to see Halong Bay in style with excellent safety and a good crew, I'd say book it.
Let's Get You Booked: A Special Offer!
Listen up, you beautiful travelers!
I'm running a special offer, and I thought you needed to know!
This cruise is truly unforgettable. But if you book through my personalized link, you get a free upgrade to a balcony cabin (subject to availability, of course!). Plus, I'll throw in a complimentary bottle of champagne and a voucher for a spa treatment (because you deserve it!). Get yours now
Altoona's BEST Hotel? IHG's Hidden Gem Revealed!
Okay, buckle up, buttercup. You’re coming with me on a rollercoaster of a trip to Halong Bay, riding on the… uh… Santa Maria Cruise. Yeah. Sounds kinda…pirate-y, which is frankly, a bit on the nose. Anyway, here we go. My diary… I mean, this is my experience.
Santa Maria Cruise: My Halong Bay Highs, Lows, and Mild Existential Crises (in No Particular Order)
Day 1: Hanoi Hustle & (Praying for) Smooth Sailing
6:00 AM: Alarm blares. Already regretting life choices. I hate mornings. Especially mornings that involve a chaotic dash to Noi Bai International Airport. Hanoi traffic… it’s a thing. Like, a major thing. Think Mad Max, but with scooters. And horn-honking that could shatter glass.
8:00 AM: The bus to Halong Bay. Honestly, it's a death trap on wheels. Think a minivan that has seen better days, crammed with tourists, and driven by a guy who seems to think the horn is an extension of his…well, you get the picture. Ate a dodgy spring roll at the rest stop. Praying my stomach holds up.
12:00 PM: Arrived in Halong City. The chaos is real. I have no idea who is who. Trying to find the elusive Santa Maria. Found a guy yelling names. "SANTA MARIA! SANTA MARIA!" Turns out that's me. (Well, almost). Board the cruise. The ship is… well, it’s a ship. Not quite the luxury yacht I’d imagined, but hey, it floats. And the view? Already stunning. Limestone karsts jutting out of the emerald water. It’s like a Bob Ross painting, but real. And… I already want to swim in it.
1:00 PM: Lunch buffet. The food – honestly, kind of hit and miss. The fresh spring rolls were a revelation. The mystery meat situation? Let’s just say I steered clear. Oh, and I managed to spill a whole glass of juice all over the nice lady next to me. Mortifying. She was remarkably gracious, though. Bless her heart.
3:00 PM: Kayaking time! This is what I came for. The brochures promised pristine waters and serenity. Reality? A bit more…competitive. Everyone wants to take pictures of the gorgeous scenery, so there's a lot of bumping and awkward maneuvering. Still, paddling through the caves, feeling the cool spray on my face… that was pure magic. I swear I saw a monkey. Probably a hallucination from the dodgy spring roll.
7:00 PM: Happy Hour and Dinner. I’m already making friends. Or maybe it’s just the cheap cocktails. It's hard to tell. The dinner, finally, starts. The ambiance is romantic, with candles and soft music. I ordered the seafood. I’m still alive. Victory!
9:00 PM: Squid fishing! We're given some fishing rods and off we go. It’s pitch dark, and the only sound is the lapping of the water against the hull. It's peaceful and atmospheric. Though, honestly? I'm pretty sure the squid are smarter than me. I didn't catch a SINGLE thing.
Day 2: Caves, Coconuts, and Contemplation (and More Buffet Battles)
7:00 AM: Tai Chi on deck. Okay, I'll level with you. I showed up, took some pictures, and promptly retreated to my cabin to avoid the excruciating awkwardness of trying to bend my aging body into yoga poses.
8:00 AM: Breakfast. The buffet rages on. I swear, I’m starting to become a master of the art of the buffet. Strategy, efficiency, and a complete disregard for personal space.
9:00 AM: Sung Sot Cave. This cave is enormous. HUGE. It's truly awe-inspiring. But the crowds! It's like Disney World in a cave. Still, it’s worth it. The formations are incredible. I kept wondering if the stalactites were real. Or if I was dreaming?
11:00 AM: Ti Top Island. Climb to the top and see the whole bay. It was a killer climb, I’m not gonna lie. (I may have considered stopping midway to simply sit down). But the view! OMG, it was breathtaking. So worth the sweat and the near-cardiac arrest.
12:30 PM: Cooking class! I was excited. My first attempt at a spring roll! I was shown how to make them and then – disaster! It exploded, scattering ingredients everywhere. The chef was incredibly patient, while I stood there mortified. Never again!
2:00 PM: Back to the boat, lunch, and more buffet antics. After my cooking "experience," I was a little wary of the food, but I have to face my demons. Also, I'm hungry.
4:00 PM: Farewell dinner and a "surprise" performance. The food was decent. The performance was… well, let's just say it was enthusiastically performed. And the karaoke… well, I've heard worse. I think. Okay, maybe not. But it was all part of the experience, I guess.
9:00 PM: I lay in bed, trying to come to terms with the fact that tomorrow, I’m back on the chaotic bus back to Hanoi. Reflecting on the journey, I realized… this wasn’t a perfect trip, by a long shot. But it was me and I liked it. And so did my travel companion!
Day 3: Goodbye Halong Bay (and Hello, Hanoi) AKA the Aftermath
7:00 AM: Woke up to the gentle rocking of the boat and the gorgeous views. My heart almost broke, because I was leaving.
8:00 AM: Farewell breakfast. A final, frantic race through the buffet. Gotta get my money's worth!
9:00 AM: Say goodbye to the crew, the views, the cruise, and the experiences. The bus ride back to Hanoi, this time with a fully functioning stomach and a slightly wiser outlook on buffets.
1:00 PM: Arrived back in Hanoi.
Final Thoughts:
This trip wasn’t perfect. It was messy. It was loud. It was crowded. But it was mine. And despite the dodgy food, the near-death experience on the bus, and the questionable karaoke, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Halong Bay is truly a magical place, a place that will stay in my heart forever. Now, time for some sleep. And maybe some Pepto-Bismol. Just in case.
Senshinkan Matsuya Japan: Unveiling the Secrets of This Hidden Japanese Gem
Halong Bay Cruise: Santa Maria's Unforgettable (And Sometimes Utterly Bonkers) Vietnam Voyage!
(Buckle up, buttercups, this is *my* unfiltered take.)
Okay, Spill: Is Halong Bay Actually *That* Beautiful?
Alright, alright, FINE. Yes. It's genuinely breathtaking. I mean, pictures? They don't *do* it justice. Think of a Monet painting that's been splashed with emerald green and then scattered with these ridiculously enormous limestone karsts. You feel tiny. In a good way, mostly. Except, maybe, when you're trying to kayak and the current is conspiring against you. (More on that later...) The sunsets? Forget about it. Sunsets that feel like they're personally designed to make you well up with sentimental joy.
Which Cruise Should I Choose?! (Help!)
Ugh, the options are overwhelming. They're all shiny and promising, aren't they? I chose Santa Maria because, honestly, the pictures looked pretty, and I liked that it included a cooking class, which, spoiler alert, was the best part of the whole damn thing. Okay, maybe not the *best*, but up there! Research is key! Read reviews! Ignore the ones that sound suspiciously perfect. Real people complain about the little things! (Like, did they forget the ketchup with your fries? Because that *matters* when you're hangry at sea, I tell ya.) Check what kind of activities are included - do you want kayaking, caving, a visit to a floating village? Some of the more luxurious ones might have a slightly better service, but I'm a "experience is greater than perfection" type of girl, and I was not disappointed considering the price.
What's the Food Like Onboard? (My Stomach Is In Charge)
Alright, let's get real: the food on my Santa Maria cruise was a mixed bag. Breakfast was a chaotic buffet – think a frantic scramble for the freshest-looking fruit before all the other tourists, and the coffee was, well, let's call it "robust." Lunch and dinner were generally better. Seafood was fresh (duh, you're practically in the ocean!), and they catered well for picky eaters (that's me!). The cooking class? Oh. My. God. We made spring rolls, and I, bless my heart, burnt the first five. But then, with a little help from the patient instructor, I finally got the hang of it. It was a total triumph, and I still make them at home, with varying degrees of success. Pro tip: Load up on the fish sauce. Seriously. That stuff is liquid gold.
Kayaking: Awesome or Awful? (Or Somewhere In Between?)
Okay, kayaking. This is where things got...interesting. The views? Unbelievable. Paddling through those emerald waters, under the towering karsts, with the sun kissing your face... *chef's kiss*. However. My kayak-mate (he shall remain nameless to protect his ego) and I have the communication skills of a toddler arguing with a cat. We were *totally* out of sync. We bumped into rocks. We got stuck in the backwash of another boat. We nearly capsized. Twice. The water was cold, and suddenly the "romantic adventure" became a test of our relationship and endurance. It was simultaneously terrifying and hilarious. I still have flashbacks of the desperate, flapping arms and the frantic "Paddle! Paddle! Not *that* paddle! Oh, and, uh, maybe wear sunscreen." I would say do it, but go with someone you actually, you know, *like*. Or at least someone you can tolerate getting wet with.
What about the Caves? Claustrophobia Alert!
Oh, the caves. They were... cavernous. I'm not claustrophobic *per se*, but I do have a mild aversion to being enclosed in damp, dark spaces. The caves we visited were pretty impressive, with incredible stalactites and stalagmites. You wind through these massive, echoing chambers, and they light them up dramatically. It really is a treat. The crowds can get a little thick, so you'll be shuffling along slowly, which might trigger the "trapped" feeling for some. Just breathe deeply and remember the amazing view that awaits you outside. They are totally worth it, just keep in mind that you will not be alone.
Is there Anything I Should Pack That Isn't Obvious?
Besides the usual sunscreen, insect repellent and comfy shoes (those are givens, people!), pack a small, lightweight waterproof bag or dry bag for your phone and wallet when kayaking. A first-aid kit with seasickness medication is a good idea. A portable phone charger. And noise-canceling headphones! You'll thank me later when you're trying to nap on deck and that guy in the neon swim trunks is belting out karaoke off key. Trust me. Trust. Me. Also, a small stash of snacks. Because let's face it, you'll get peckish. I suggest some sort of emergency chocolate. Also, pack two cameras, I lost one in the ocean, and that was a disaster. Pack extra batteries. Pack everything.
What's the Vibe Like Onboard? Is it Party Party Party?
The vibe on my Santa Maria cruise was more relaxed than a raging party. There were definitely people who were celebrating something (weddings, anniversaries, a birthday!). Every cruise has a different vibe. Most people want to enjoy the beauty of the place. Every night you'll have dinner, some entertainment, with the option of going to bed early or staying up drinking beers until the wee hours. There was a bar, but it was pretty laid-back. It wasn't a booze-fueled, spring break-style affair, thank goodness. More like people chatting, laughing, and enjoying each other's company while watching the sunset. (Which, again, is genuinely spectacular.)
Were There Any Annoying Tourists? (Be Honest!)
Oh, honey, yes. There's always *someone*. The classic "selfie stick wielding brigade" were out in full force. There was a group of people who dominated the "best" seats on the top deck, and they were *always* there. And the one guy who played his music without headphones... you know the type. But honestly? They were minor annoyances in the grand scheme of things. It's easy to look past the small things when you are surrounded by such pure beauty. Overall, the other passengers were pretty great and kept the complaints to minimum.
Would You Go Again? (And, You Know, Is It Worth The Hype?)

