
Escape to Paradise: Wakeman's Unforgettable NZ Bed & Breakfast
Escape to Paradise: Wakeman's Unforgettable NZ Bed & Breakfast - A Messy Review (Because Life Isn't Perfect!)
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! You're not getting a perfectly polished tourist brochure here. I’m giving you the real deal on Escape to Paradise: Wakeman's Unforgettable NZ Bed & Breakfast. I've just got back, and let me tell you, it's a trip. So, here we go, warts and all… and trust me, there are a few warts, but mostly, it's pure, unadulterated kiwi magic.
First Impressions: The Road to Paradise (And the Occasional Speed Bump)
Getting there is part of the adventure. Sure, Escape to Paradise says it offers airport transfer, but I kinda wished I’d sprung for a taxi. They say it’s a glorious drive, but in my rental, it felt more like navigating a particularly squiggly plate of spaghetti. But hey, bonus points for car park [free of charge] and car park [on-site]! You will need a car though – this isn't somewhere you stumble upon.
And when I did finally arrive? Wow. Just… wow. Okay, maybe the “Paradise” moniker isn’t entirely hyperbole. The view! The air! The feeling you’ve actually escaped.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Honestly
Now, I wasn’t testing the wheelchair accessibility, but I did poke my head around and… well, it's a mixed bag. They claim facilities for disabled guests. But the website doesn't have a ton of details – which is a red flag, and I'm afraid to say, that's probably the deal. Make sure, if you need a truly level-of-access, to CALL first. Be thorough in your questions.
Inside the Bubble: Rooms, Rests, and Relaxation (with Added Quirks)
Let’s talk rooms. I snagged one with a window that opens (a must for me – gotta breathe that clean air!) and a view that deserved its own Instagram account. They have non-smoking rooms and smoking area (not sure why, as they seemed quite focused on being healthy), which is good (or bad, depending where you stand!). My room had air conditioning and it got cold at night I had to turn it down.
Getting into the weeds: The bathrobes were luxuriously fluffy. The coffee/tea maker was a lifesaver after that insane drive. The extra long bed? Blessedly roomy, perfect for spreading out after a long day of… well, doing absolutely nothing, which is the best part of this place. They provided complimentary tea and free bottled water - little things make a difference!
Now, about that little bit, more important things: The bathrooms… I'm not going to lie, it was a bit dated, but sparkling clean, and the separate shower/bathtub was a godsend. I'm a bath person, to the core. The slippers were a nice touch, too! And daily housekeeping? Praise be! My room always felt fresh and inviting, though the cleaning ladies seemed to be the same two every day, and they had very little english. My "Must-Do" Moments
- MASSAGE! Oh. My. God. Hands down, the best massage of my life. I went for the "Deep Tissue Delight," and let me tell you, after my road trip, my knotted back cried in joy! The masseuse was a tiny, incredibly strong woman who worked magic. I am still reeling! Do it! Do it NOW!
- Pool of View I spent an entire afternoon (and part of the evening, as the sun went down) in the swimming pool [outdoor]! The view… I could have stayed there forever and ever. I couldn't swim, though, because I did not bring a swimsuit. I blame the jetlag!
Things to Do (and How to Do Virtually Nothing Brilliantly)
Escape to Paradise isn’t the kind of place that’s crammed with activities. That’s the point! They boast a fitness center and even a gym/fitness, but after my epic massage, I mainly focused on the ways to relax part! It's a place to unwind, to read, to nap, to drink wine and watch the sun set.
The Food (And My Ramblings Around It)
Alright, let's dive into the dining, drinking, and snacking. They’ve got restaurants, a poolside bar, even a coffee shop.
- The breakfast? They had breakfast [buffet] (standard fare) and Western breakfast (bacon, eggs, the works), and I was also offered breakfast in room, but I wasn't going to take it. The Asian breakfast looked interesting, too. Just didn't feel the need for it personally.
- Lunch and Dinner: They have Buffet in restaurant (so I passed), A la carte in restaurant (I had the most glorious lamb chops one night), and a Vegetarian restaurant (a plus for some, not so much for me). The coffee/tea in restaurant was always a welcome addition, and they even had a happy hour which may have involved some cocktails! The desserts in restaurant was good (nothing out of this world), but the salad in restaurant was fresh and seasonal.
But wait, there’s more! Room service [24-hour] is a lifesaver, especially after a long day of… you know… relaxing. And the bottle of water always came in handy.
My only problem: the food wasn’t stellar, but it was fine.
Cleanliness and Safety: Keeping it Real (and Responsible)
Okay, huge kudos here. They go above and beyond. They have anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff is trained in safety protocol. My room was sanitized between stays and they offer room sanitization opt-out available. Plus, they have sterile equipment! And the important thing: the staff was always wearing masks and took the rules seriously. They even had daily disinfection in common areas!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They’ve got pretty much everything you could need. Concierge, laundry service, dry cleaning, even luggage storage. The daily housekeeping was a blessing. They will even do food delivery if you wish. The elevator made navigating the place a breeze. Oh! They have a gift/souvenir shop, which is where I found some of the most wonderful art I have ever seen! The prices were fine! For the Kids (and Those Who Act Like Them)
They're not really a "kid" place, to be honest, but it will work. The family/child friendly options are limited. They offer babysitting service, but I'm not sure what that is. I felt that they would be happy to help in any way, in the end!
The Little Annoyances (Because Life Ain't Perfect, Remember?)
- The internet. It’s free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (advertised), but it’s a bit spotty, especially in the far corners of the building. This won’t be an issue if you are off the grid, but I needed it for an emergency.
- The noise. Some rooms get a bit of noise from the hallway or the pool, so bring your earplugs (those soundproof rooms are worth their weight in gold!).
The Verdict: Should You Escape to Paradise?
YES. Absolutely, unequivocally YES. If you want a place to unwind, to be surrounded by natural beauty, and to experience some seriously blissful relaxation (especially that massage!), then book this place. Embrace the imperfections, laugh at the quirks, and let yourself be utterly charmed by the Kiwi magic.
SEO-Friendly Summary:
- Keywords: NZ Bed & Breakfast, New Zealand, Relaxation, Spa, Massage, Pool with View, Cleanliness, Safety, Escape, Wakeman's, Paradise, Accessibility
- Unique Selling Points: Unforgettable views, amazing massage, focus on relaxation and peace, clean and safe environment.
- Target Audience: Couples, solo travelers, anyone seeking a relaxing getaway, people who appreciate natural beauty, and anyone who wants to escape from the hustle and bustle.
My Persuasive Offer (Straight from the Heart):
Ready to actually escape? Tired of the same old, same old? Then ditch the routine and book your stay at Escape to Paradise: Wakeman's Unforgettable NZ Bed & Breakfast now. You'll get:
- Breathtaking views that will stop you in your tracks.
- A Deep Tissue Delight massage that will melt away all your stress.

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a New Zealand adventure at the Serenity on Wakeman Bed and Breakfast. Forget the perfectly-polished travel brochures, we're going FULL CHAOS. This is gonna be less "smooth sailing" and more "slightly-drunken-kayak-trip-down-the-Waikato"…
The Serenity on Wakeman: A Hot Mess in Paradise (My Brain's Already Overloaded)
Day 1: Arrival in Whanganui (and immediate existential crisis, naturally)
- Time: 8:00 AM, Auckland Airport - Ugh, the airport. Always a minefield of delayed flights and questionable coffee. My flight was, predictably, late. I blame the pigeons, personally.
- Transport: Hired a tiny, bright-yellow Suzuki Swift. I named her "Betsy." Pray for Betsy.
- Time: 12:00 PM, Arrived in Whanganui - This is where the actual adventure begins. After a 4-hour drive, and a series of wrong turns that made me question my map-reading skills, I finally made it. The sign said "Serenity," but my brain is already pinging with the stress of unpacking, the fear of spiders, and the nagging feeling I forgot something essential. Like, a brain cell.
- Check-in and Bed and Breakfast Reconnaissance: The place is utterly charming. Think flowery English cottage meets quaint Kiwi haven. The host, a woman named Agnes, who I've already decided is a saint, greeted me with a hug and a welcome drink, she is a sweet woman. I am so happy she understood me. The room is even better than the photos. This place is a dream.
- Time: 2:00 PM, First Lunch - Agnes whipped up a delicious sandwich.
- Time: 3:00 PM, Whanganui River Exploration:
- My brain is like, "Okay, river time! Let's do this!"
- First impression: The river feels calm and peaceful. I decided to take a water taxi for an hour trip. Wow! The views are just incredible, and I can't help but feel incredibly happy. I never knew this feeling!
Day 2: Nature, Grief, and Unexpected Tears (Brace Yourselves, This Gets Weird)
- Time: 7:00 AM, Wake up feeling refreshed, but still, feeling anxious - At least I'm alive.
- Time: 9:00 AM, Breakfast with Agnes - Over poached eggs and freshly-baked bread, Agnes regaled me with tales of local history and, surprisingly, heartbreak. She was unbelievably kind, understanding. I was feeling emotional.
- Time: 10:00 AM, A Guided Hike:
- Destination: This is where I thought my anxieties would be gone - but, no.
- Hike: I decided to go on a guided hike. I'm not one of those super-fit, mountain-goat types, but I figured, "Embrace the outdoors! Be one with nature!" Famous last words. The hike was… intense. The scenery was undeniably gorgeous, but my lungs were screaming, my thighs were burning, and I was seriously considering lying down and becoming one with the moss.
- Anecdote: About halfway up, I started crying. Not a tiny, elegant tear or two; think full-on, snotty, mascara-running meltdown. Turns out, the beauty of nature can be a real trigger for… everything. Grief. Loneliness. The crushing weight of existence. The guide, bless his heart, just patted my shoulder and offered me a biscuit. It was the most New Zealand thing I've ever experienced. I love this place.
- Time: 3:00 PM, Stumble back to the B&B, shattered and emotionally drained.
- Time: 5:00 PM, Journaling and Wine - Time to try to process the day. I got a bottle of local wine and sat on the porch of my room, journaling as the sun started setting.
Day 3: Art, Adventure, Chocolate (A Much Needed Course Correction)
- Time: 9:00 AM, Art and a chocolate making class, it was amazing.
- Time: 11:00 AM, Adventure - I decided I am going on the jet boat at first sight. It was an amazing experience and a good distraction from the sadness of yesterday.
- Time: 1:00 PM, Chocolate - After my Jet boat adventure, I ate a lot of chocolates.
Day 4: Serenity, Farewell, and the Promise of Return (Or at Least, I Hope So)
- Time: 9:00 AM, Goodbye Breakfast. Agnes made me pancakes, eggs, and bacon. What more can a girl ask for?
- Time: 10:00 AM, Final Reflections: I'm leaving Serenity to return to my sad life. I'll miss Agnes, the peace, the view, and the chocolates!
- Transport: Betsy, the tiny yellow car. This time she's taking me to the airport.
Overall Vibe: Emotional Rollercoaster, with Amazing Scenery, and the Taste of Chocolate
This trip wasn't "perfect," and parts of it were utterly ridiculous. But that's the beauty of it, right? You go, you feel, you stumble, you cry, you laugh, and you come out the other side, a little bit changed, a little bit wiser, and definitely craving more chocolate. I'll be back, Serenity on Wakeman. You can count on it.
Chicago's BEST Kept Secret? This Waukegan Gem Will SHOCK You! (Sonesta Simply Suites)
Escape to Paradise: Wakeman's Unforgettable Bed & Breakfast - ...Or Is It? (FAQ - The Unfiltered Edition)
Okay, spill it. Is “Unforgettable” just marketing speak or is this place *actually* memorable?
Alright, alright, settle down. "Unforgettable"... Look, you know how these things go. It's *marketing*, but... here's the raw truth. Wakeman's? It's...an experience. Picture this: You drive down this winding, gravel road - gravel roads are the bane of my existence by the way, I swear my car hates them - and you're thinking, "Is this it? Am I hallucinating? Did that sign even say Wakeman's Paradise or was it…*Wakeman's Abandoned Shack & Mystery Meat Buffet*?" (just me? Okay then.) Then, bam! You see the house, and it's...rustic. Let's go with "rustic." It's not exactly a pristine hotel, you know? But the *character*? The *vibe*? That's definitely unforgettable. Good or bad? Well, stick around, we'll get to that.
What are the rooms like? Are they... clean?
Oh, the rooms. Right. Okay, so "clean" is... relative, I'm told. Look, I'm a bit of a germaphobe, okay? So, my initial reaction was… a slight panic. Let’s just say I’m *very* familiar with Lysol now. The sheets *seemed* clean, you know? No obvious… horrors. The decor? Well, it's like stepping back in time, to a time perhaps when interior design was… less of a priority? Think floral everything, maybe a slightly musty smell that time and good ventilation can't quite wash away. But, despite my initial freak-out, I survived. And, hey, the bed was comfy. You know, once I'd scrubbed the bedside table with my emergency antibacterial wipes. (Don't judge me!)
The breakfast. Everyone raves about the breakfast. Is it really as good as they say?
Okay, *this*. This is where things get interesting. The breakfast... it's a *thing*. It's a *legend*. Honestly? It *mostly* deserved the hype. Picture this: you stumble downstairs (still slightly traumatized by the decor, let's be honest) and you're hit with the aroma of… something amazing. Freshly baked bread, fruity smells, and what I *think* was actual coffee (after a few days on their instant coffee, it was an actual epiphany.) There was a full spread, and the woman who cooks, (let’s call her “Grandma Wakeman," even if that wasn’t her name - she had that vibe) – she was magical! She was a force of nature in the kitchen, practically hurling food onto your plate. The homemade jam? *To die for*. The eggs? Perfect. Though I swear one time, she gave me a *look* when I asked for more coffee, like, "Lady, you've had three cups already!" But, yeah, the breakfast? Pretty damn unforgettable. And even when I may have spotted a stray fly buzzing around the fruit platter (oops!), it was still mostly delicious.
What's the atmosphere like? Is there a lot of social interaction?
Okay, so social interaction… buckle up. The atmosphere at Wakeman's is… well, it depends on the day, and maybe the lunar cycle. It's definitely a place where you're *expected* to chat. Grandma Wakeman, she's a talker. A *friendly* talker, mind you, mostly, but a talker nonetheless. And if any of the other guests are the chatty sort, you're in for it. My first morning, I was still half-asleep, desperately trying to get my coffee fix and then they started quizzing me on my travels. Travel! Like I was actually *traveling*, not just trying to escape a bad job and a broken washing machine! But gradually, you find yourself... relaxing into it. It's not exactly a spa retreat, but it is an escape from your everyday life. The family-style dining might make you feel a bit like you're at a holiday dinner with a family you barely know, but you end up sharing stories, laughing, and maybe even making a new friend or two. Or, alternatively, just politely nodding and smiling until you could escape back to your room. It’s all part of the experience.
What about the location? Is it actually "Paradise"?
Okay, “Paradise.” That’s a big word, isn’t it? The actual location... it’s scenic. Very scenic. Rolling hills, maybe a cow or two. The view from the front porch, gazing out at that never-ending field, it's pretty spectacular. Think of it more as “Rural Bliss with a side of… bugs.” Actually, I got eaten alive the first night! I was totally unprepared and I had about 50 bites the morning after. If you are easily perturbed by insects, bring the strongest bug spray you can find! However, it does mean you're away from the hustle and bustle, and you can hear the birds chirping. It depends on what you crave, I guess. But, in terms of getting away from it all? Yes, it’s pretty darn perfect.
Is there anything specific I should pack or be aware of, other than a bug spray?
Alright, let's get real. Pack earplugs. You'll thank me later. Especially if you're a light sleeper, you'll hear the neighbours across the road. Also, as well as my trusty bug spray, pack a good book, because there's not a ton of entertainment readily available, and a sense of humour. You'll *need* it. And maybe some snacks. While the breakfast is epic, sometimes, you just need a biscuit at 3 pm. It's a good idea to bring some cash too because their card machine might not always cooperate with you (yes, really). And, most importantly? Embrace the imperfections. That's kinda the whole point of Wakeman's.
You mentioned embracing imperfections. Can you give a specific example?
Oh, boy, where to start? Okay, the first night. The shower. It’s one of those... quaint, old-school showers. And the water pressure? Non-existent. It was like taking a shower in a light drizzle. I felt like I was barely getting wet, let alone clean. And the water temperature? Let’s just say it fluctuated wildly between freezing and scalding. My first reaction? Fury. I was shaking my fist at the heavens, muttering things I’d probably regret. I even considered sneaking into the bathroom of the other guests, but I thought, "No, don't be *that* person." But then, after about ten minutes of shivering and yelping, I realized something.Best Rest Finder

