
Albuquerque's BEST Hidden Gem Hotel? (IHG Holiday Inn Express Review!)
Albuquerque's Best Hidden Gem? The Holiday Inn Express - Is It Really? (My Honest, Messy Review!)
Okay, so listen. I've stayed in a lot of hotels. From swanky resorts that cost more than my car payment to… well, let’s just say "budget-friendly" options. And when I was planning my trip to Albuquerque, I stumbled upon the Holiday Inn Express. Everyone kept saying it was a “hidden gem.” Now, I'm naturally skeptical. “Hidden gem” usually translates to “perfectly adequate and a little… bland.” But I'm here to tell you, this Holiday Inn Express in Albuquerque? It actually surprised me. Let's dive in, shall we? And I'll be brutally honest. Because that's how I roll.
Accessibility & Safety: Keeping it Real
First things first: Accessibility. The hotel is pretty good, which is a huge plus. I saw elevators, and the website mentions facilities for disabled guests, which I always appreciate. The front desk is open and accessible.
Cleanliness & Safety: Pandemic-Era Sanity
Look, let's be real. We're all a little freaked out about cleanliness these days. And the Holiday Inn Express actually takes it seriously. I noticed anti-viral cleaning products being used, and the staff seemed super conscientious. They were all wearing masks (thank you, people!). They also had hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere. Seriously, I think I used more sanitizer at this hotel than I have in my entire life. And the room sanitization? Well, you could even opt-out, which I loved.
They also had the basics covered: hand sanitizer, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, smoke alarms, and CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property. Which is all great, gives you a sense of security.
Rooms & Amenities: The Good, the Bad, and the Unexpectedly Cozy
Okay, the rooms. They're… well, they're a Holiday Inn Express room. You know the drill. Air conditioning that actually works, a comfortable bed, a desk for working (or pretending to work), and free Wi-Fi (seriously, that's a lifesaver!). The internet access – wireless worked great, and more importantly, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! which is a huge selling point. And a Coffee/tea maker, I need my coffee.
But here’s where it got interesting. My room had blackout curtains, which is essential for sleeping in after a long day. They also had a refrigerator, which is always a win. It's the little things, people. And the hair dryer actually worked! I know, low bar, but I’ve seen some truly sad hair dryers in my travels.
Now, here's a quirk, this is where it gets messy. One little thing that kinda bugged me. The bathtub, was tiny. I'm not a big person or anything, but I found myself crammed.
The Pool and Beyond… Or, Why You Shouldn’t Expect a Spa
Alright, let's be honest. This isn't a resort. Don't go expecting a sprawling spa. But they did have a swimming pool [outdoor]. And? It was… fine. I didn't use it, but it looked clean and inviting, as far as hotel pools go. There’s no pool with view, or spa, or sauna, or steamroom.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Breakfast Is KING
This is where the Holiday Inn Express really shines, in my opinion. The breakfast [buffet] is LEGENDARY. Okay, maybe not legendary, but it was GOOD. And free! They had everything you'd expect: eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, fruit, bagels, the whole shebang. But what I really appreciated was the Asian breakfast option, including some amazing congee! I love my Asian food, and that made me really happy.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They had a concierge, which was helpful. Daily housekeeping. The luggage storage was great. There was a convenience store in the area.
Getting Around: Easy Peasy
Car park [free of charge]! You can't beat free parking. Plus, they had car park [on-site] for your convenience.
Here's the Real Tea: The Emotional Rollercoaster
Okay, so this hotel wasn't perfect. The room could be a bit small for a family. Also, the lighting in the breakfast area… meh. But here's the thing: it got me. It was clean, safe, and surprisingly comfortable. The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. I felt taken care of. It wasn't about glitz and glamour; it was about… well, feeling human.
So, is it a "Hidden Gem?"
Honestly? Yeah, I'd say so. For its price point, it’s a solid choice.
My Compelling Offer to YOU:
Book your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Albuquerque and experience the unexpected comfort and convenience. Enjoy:
- Free, delicious breakfast that starts your day off right!
- Free Wi-Fi to stay connected.
- Sparkling clean rooms for your peace of mind.
- Friendly staff dedicated to making your stay memorable.
- Convenient access to Albuquerque's attractions.
But here's an added bonus: Book your stay within the next 7 days and receive a complimentary upgrade to a room with a better view and a welcome basket filled with local treats!
Don't just take my word for it. Experience the Holiday Inn Express – a surprisingly delightful "hidden gem" in Albuquerque. Book Now!
Iceland's Hidden Gem: Uncover Höfn's Luxury at Berjaya Hotel!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! We’re hitting the road – well, the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express Albuquerque North – Bernalillo, to be precise. This itinerary? Yeah, it's less "smooth operator" and more "chaotic good." Prepare for whiplash, because that's how my brain works.
Day 1: Arrival, Ambiguity, and the Quest for Decent Coffee (aka, the "Pre-Panic Phase")
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ). Flight's on time, surprisingly! Found a parking space without having to sell a kidney, which is a win already. Now, the REAL challenge: finding the rental car. I SWEAR Hertz has a conspiracy to make you walk a mile and a half through scorching concrete. Finally got the key to a… well, let's just say it's technically a car. Smells vaguely of stale fries and desperation.
- 2:00 PM: Drive to Holiday Inn Express, Bernalillo. The GPS. Oh, the GPS. It's currently in a philosophical debate with itself about the meaning of "left" and "right." Ended up on a side road that looks suspiciously like a scene from Breaking Bad. (No, thankfully, I did NOT see Walter White. Just a tumbleweed and a very judgmental looking roadrunner.)
- 3:00 PM (ish): Check in. The front desk guy, bless him, is radiating "I haven't slept in three days" energy. But he IS friendly, so I'll take it. Room is… well, it's a room. Clean enough. Bed looks inviting. Crucial: where's the coffee situation? THIS is mission critical.
- 3:15 PM: Disaster. The coffee machine in the room looks like it was designed by a sadist. The instant coffee? Let’s just say it tastes of sadness and regret. Rant Alert: This is a Holiday Inn Express. You know, a chain! You think they'd have DECENT coffee. Apparently, that's expecting too much.
- 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM: Debate whether to risk the coffee at the lobby (fear of weak, lukewarm, life-sucking coffee) or venture out. Go for it! The lobby coffee is… passable. Just. Sip it. Gather my thoughts. Plan for the evening.
- 5:00 PM: A brief expedition to find a decent grocery store, because I cannot in good conscience eat another pre-packaged, chemically-enhanced something-or-other. Found a Sprouts. Happy Dance. Filled the car with snacks (fruit and nuts and crackers!) and some healthyish items.
- 6:00 - 8:00 PM: I'm aiming to find a decent Mexican Restaurant in Bernalillo and go full local vibe. This is where the "do I want to be social" dilemma starts. sigh I'll figure it out.
- Personal Note: Okay, so that Mexican restaurant called itself "authentic". And, I did NOT love it. The flavors were so… blah. I felt the need for garlic, onions, chillies! The service was great though. So I'll give them that. Lesson learned? Ask the locals. Always.
Day 2: The Sandia Mountains, Air-Breathing, and Emotional Exhaustion
- 7:00 AM: Attempted a decent breakfast. Found some decent bread. The rest was a lukewarm buffet situation. Tried the rubbery scrambled eggs. Regret.
- 8:00 AM: Decision Time! Hike the Sandia Mountains? Or stick to the hotel room? Hmm. I'm feeling kinda brave, so it is the Sandia Peak Tramway!
- 9:00 AM: Sandia Peak Tramway. The views are actually stunning. Seriously, jaw-dropping. The air is so crisp and clear you feel like you can breathe again – a welcome change from the hotel coffee-induced haze. The ascent? A bit terrifying, ngl. That thing dangles and sways! Emotions? Feeling alive, and terrified all at the same time.
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Hiking. Okay, so I'm not exactly Bear Grylls. But I made it. Up a bit, down a bit. Sweat, some more sweat. And finally, a view! Wow. It's beautiful. So many colors.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. Found a nice picnic spot. Enjoyed some of the healthyish snacks.
- 1:00 PM: Getting back to the base. The hike was challenging. But, I managed to stay hydrated and keep my inner Grumpy Cat at bay.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Down time back at the hotel. I think I'll go back to the room, and get some rest.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Decide to grab a bite. I'm going to go to the brewery nearby. I'll give you a review and update you tomorrow, friends.
- Personal Note: Well. The brewery was fun. The food? Again. Meh. However, that beer, was quite good. And the people? All locals. Definitely a fun experience. I'd say, it was worth it.
**Day 3: Santa Fe and a Bit of Existential Dread (aka, the "Is This All There Is?" Phase) **
- 7:00 AM: Breakfast. The breakfast at the hotel is… sigh. I'm running out of adjectives.
- 8:00 AM: Santa Fe! The drive to Santa Fe is beautiful. The sky is huge. But, I'm starting to feel a bit… blah. Like, is this all there is to this vacation? This is when the existential dread sets in.
- 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM: Stroll. I wander aimlessly in the Plaza. The architecture is pretty. The shops are full of stuff I don't need. But, I do buy an art piece.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch. Found a cute little cafe with outdoor seating. The food was delicious. A rare moment of pure joy.
- 1:00 PM: Stroll through the Georgia O’Keefe museum. More pretty stuff. Starts to feel… repetitive. Am I even feeling things anymore?
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Back in Bernalillo. Back to the hotel. This is where the real questioning starts. Am I doing this "travel" thing right? Am I supposed to be having a good time? Or is this just a series of mostly middling experiences punctuated by brief moments of beauty?
- 4:00 PM: Take a nap. This is the only answer, right?
Day 4 : The End is Near… and the Coffee Still Sucks
- 7:00 AM: The dreadful breakfast. The coffee is still terrible. I'm seriously considering stealing a K-Cup…or five…on my way out.
- 8:00 AM: Check out. The guy at the front desk. This is better, slightly less sad.
- 9:00 AM: Return the rental car.
- 10:00 AM: Fly home.
Final Thoughts:
Look, this wasn't the perfect vacay, by a long shot. The coffee was a crime against humanity. The food was hit-or-miss. The internal monologue was… intense. But? I saw some incredible things. I survived. And I have stories. And that, my friends, is perhaps the most important thing of all. Now, where's that K-Cup?
Paradigm Hotel China: Luxury Redefined. Unforgettable Stay Awaits.
Albuquerque's Secret Weapon: Holiday Inn Express (But Really!) - A Hot Mess of a Review
Is this Holiday Inn Express *really* a hidden gem in Albuquerque? I mean, it's just a chain, right?
Okay, let's be honest. I, like you, approached this with maximum skepticism. Holiday Inn Express? Hidden gem? Sounds like marketing BS cooked up by a caffeine-addled pigeon. But listen, I've lived in Albuquerque for a decade, and I've stayed in everything from haunted Victorian mansions (that's a story for another time!) to glorified plywood boxes. This… this actually surprised me. It *is* a Holiday Inn Express. It has the slightly sterile, predictable vibe. But… and this is a big BUT… it's *clean*. Like, retina-searingly clean. And the staff? They're not just going through the motions. They genuinely seem to *care*. That alone, in this city, is a freakin' miracle.
What about the location? Is it convenient, or am I going to spend my whole trip stuck in traffic?
Okay, location. This is where things get… nuanced. It's not smack-dab downtown, which can be a pro or a con depending on your vibe. You *won't* be stumbling back from a brewery at 2 AM. But it's surprisingly close to a lot of good stuff. Think good eats (Sawmill Market nearby – a must!), easy access to the I-25 (hello, day trips!), and it's generally in a safe-ish area. I say "safe-ish" because, you know, Albuquerque. Just… be aware of your surroundings at night, like you should anywhere. Bottom line: it's a solid base for exploring without feeling like you're trapped in a concrete jungle.
Tell me about the breakfast. Is it the usual sad Holiday Inn Express continental fare?
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because here's where my feelings get… complicated. The breakfast *is* a Holiday Inn Express breakfast. You know the drill: pre-packaged muffins, questionable scrambled eggs that look suspiciously like sunshine-yellow Play-Doh, and a waffle maker that’s either a glorious invention or a harbinger of utter chaos. (I'm looking at you, clog-tastic batter dispenser!). BUT. And this is the saving grace… they actually *try*. I swear, I saw a woman at the breakfast bar making a *personal waffle art piece*! And the coffee? Not THAT bad. It's not artisanal, life-altering coffee, but hey, it's hot and caffeinated. Basically, don't expect a culinary revelation, but it'll get you going.
What about the rooms? What do they *really* look like?
Okay, the rooms. Here's the truth: they're… fine. They're what you expect. Clean, functional, with a vaguely corporate aesthetic. The beds are comfy enough. Good enough for a decent night's sleep. The bathrooms are spotless (seriously, I'm obsessed with their cleanliness). The TV works. They often have a mini-fridge, which is crucial for keeping your green chile salsa cold (a New Mexican essential!). No, you won't walk in and be blown away by the decor, but you won't be gagging either. It's… comfortable. And sometimes, that's all you need, especially after a day of trekking through the desert or getting lost in the art galleries.
You said the staff cares... Give me an example.
Okay, fine. Here comes the story of the Great Lost Phone. One time, I left my phone charging in the lobby. (Yes, I'm an idiot.) I wandered away, lost in thought/wondering if I could get away with stealing a second waffle. (I couldn't, the waffle vigilantes were watching). I realized my phone was gone hours later, FREAKED OUT, assumed the worst (catastrophic data loss, world doomed, etc.). I raced back to the hotel, bracing myself to deal with the usual indifferent hotel employee. Instead, I found a woman behind the desk who *knew* what had happened. She remembered me, remembered my phone. She’d put it safe back, charging in the back. Honestly? I almost cried. It's the little things, people. That, right there, is why I might actually recommend this place. They didn't have to do that. But they did. That's the damn difference.
Is there a pool? Because I need a pool.
Yes, there is a pool! And a hot tub! Both of which are… fine. They’re clean, well-maintained (mostly), and a welcome relief from the New Mexican heat. The pool area isn’t exactly a tropical paradise, but it gets the job done. Just don't expect Ibiza. Expect… a clean pool. And a hot tub. And that, in this context, is a win.
What's the biggest downside? What's the catch?
The biggest downside? The parking. It can be a bit of a free-for-all. Especially if you're arriving late. You might have to circle the lot a few times. And sometimes, the noise from the nearby roads can be noticeable if you're a light sleeper. Bring earplugs. But honestly? Those are minor complaints. The catch… I guess the catch is that it's *not* a boutique hotel. It's not quirky or trendy. It's a reliable, clean, comfortable place to crash. And sometimes, after a long day of chasing sunsets and eating chile, that's exactly what you need, right?
Would you *actually* recommend this place? Or are you just being contrarian?
Okay, real talk. Would I *truly* recommend the Holiday Inn Express? After all I said? (I’m pretty sure I’ve contradicted myself at least five times). Yes. I would. Not with wild abandon, not like I'm screaming it from the rooftops, but yes. For the price, for the cleanliness, for the (mostly) friendly staff, and for the fact that it's a surprisingly decent launching pad for exploring Albuquerque, it’s a win. It’s not perfect. It’s a Holiday Inn Express. But it’s a *good* Holiday Inn Express. And sometimes, in a city as quirky and challenging as Albuquerque, that's a hidden gem in itself.

