
Escape to West Sacramento: Your Perfect Holiday Inn Express Getaway!
Escape to West Sacramento: Your Perfect Holiday Inn Express Getaway! (…Maybe. Let’s Figure This Out.)
Alright, alright, settle in, folks. We’re talking about the Holiday Inn Express in West Sacramento. Look, I’m gonna be blunt: it’s not the Ritz. But, as a weary traveler, someone who knows the sting of a bad hotel experience, I'm also realistic. Is this your perfect getaway? Maybe. Let's unpack this damn place, shall we?
Accessibility: More Than Just Ramps (Thank Goodness!)
Okay, this is crucial. And thankfully, the Holiday Inn Express in West Sacramento seems to get it. Wheelchair accessible? Yes! And I'm talking actual accessibility, not the lip-service kind. The elevators were working (a small miracle in the hotel world, honestly), and the hallways seemed wide enough. I didn’t personally need a wheelchair on this trip, but seeing the effort made me breathe a sigh of relief. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, which, again, is key.
Getting Connected (Wi-Fi, Praise the Lord)
Internet Access is listed, but more crucially, FREE Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah! I depend on it. Because of the free internet, I could actually keep up with my deadlines. I work online so this is important. Internet [LAN], not so much these days. Wi-Fi in public areas? Yep, and it worked! Not a blazing, super-fast connection, but functional. This is a must, especially when you're not in your room, looking for a bite and a place to plug in.
Cleanliness and Safety: Are They Killing Germs or Just… Pretending?
So, the big question, post-pandemic, is, "Is this place clean?" They're throwing everything at it. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer everywhere. Rooms sanitized between stays, the full shebang. This gives a bit of peace of mind. Staff trained in safety protocol, supposedly. I didn't witness a hazmat suit, but I did see staff wearing masks, and that’s a start. Cashless payment service made things quick. Safe dining setup? I’ll get to that. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter?… kinda. They try.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Can You Actually Eat Here? (And Should You?)
Brace yourselves… Breakfast [buffet] is listed, but with the pandemic. Breakfast takeaway service available, which is a great option if you're rushing or just weirded out by shared utensils. Let’s be honest, the Holiday Inn Express breakfast is usually a gamble. The waffles are often the highlight (if the machine decides to cooperate), and the scrambled eggs are… well, they exist. Coffee/tea in restaurant is a must, and they had it, but not great coffee. Coffee shop, nope. Snack bar, I didn't see one. Restaurants? Only the in-hotel offering, nothing fancy here. Room service [24-hour]? Nope.
I did notice an Asian breakfast option. I didn't try this.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter (Or Annoy)
Air conditioning in public areas (thank GOD). Cash withdrawal (essential). Concierge: Non-existent, but the front desk folks were pretty helpful. Contactless check-in/out: Good. Daily housekeeping: Present and accounted for. Elevator: As mentioned, yes. Luggage storage: Yup. Laundry service: Score! And a convenience store which I did not have to make note of, I did not see.
For The Kids: (Or, Can You Travel with Tiny Humans?)
Family/child-friendly is listed. No water slides, but at least they seem to tolerate the little monsters. Babysitting service: Don’t get your hopes up. Kids facilities are not available it would seem.
Wellness Woes: Spa Dreams Dashed (Mostly)
Okay, let's be real. This isn’t a spa resort. Fitness center? Yes, tiny but functional. This, for me, is a make break. I didn't get time to use the gym. Pool with view: Nope. Indoor pool, fine. Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Nope, nope, nope. So if you are looking to get pampered, this isn't the place to go.
Rooms, Glorious (and Sometimes Flawed) Rooms
This is where things get real, right? The room is your sanctuary… or possibly your prison.
Air conditioning: Essential, worked well in the room. Blackout curtains: YES! A traveler's best friend. Coffee/tea maker: Present. Desk: A lifesaver for working and a decent Laptop workspace. Free bottled water is always appreciated. Internet access – wireless: Essential, and yes. Ironing facilities: Huzzah! Refrigerator: Yes! Seating area: Yes. Shower: Fine. Smoke detector: Present. Soundproofing: Okay, soundproofing not great, I have to admit. You WILL hear the occasional hallway chatter and traffic. Wi-Fi [free]: Check!
The Anecdote That Sums It All Up (or, My Waffle Saga)
So, here’s the lowdown. As I was getting ready to check out, and wanting to make some waffles, I found that the waffles were not getting done. After some trial and error I got through it.
The Offer: Escape to West Sacramento and Get… Functional Comfort? (But Okay!)
Look, let's not overhype things. But let’s be honest, The Holiday Inn Express in West Sacramento is a solid basecamp. It's not a destination, but it's not a complete disaster either.
Here's the deal:
- You need a clean, functional place to sleep and work? Book it.
- You value accessibility and basic amenities? Book it.
- You’re on a budget and need a place that won't break the bank? Book it.
The offer?
- A safe, clean, and accessible place to rest while spending time in West Sacramento.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- A decent breakfast. (Waffles that may or may not cooperate)
- Comfortable beds, air conditioning, and a place to plug in.
Is this the most romantic getaway? No. Is it your perfect, dream vacation? Probably not. But could it be a convenient, affordable, and okay experience? Absolutely.
Book your stay today! (Just, maybe, pack your own coffee.)
Riverdale Hall: UK's Hidden Gem? Luxury Getaway Awaits!
Alright, buckle up, because we're not planning a trip, we're surviving it. This is the Holiday Inn Express in West Sacramento, by IHG, and frankly, it looks about as exciting as watching paint dry. But hey, that's life, right? Let's see what we can do with this… shuffles papers, spills coffee down my shirt Okay, this is going to be a disaster, in the best possible way.
Day 1: West Sacramento – The Quiet Before the Storm (of Boredom)
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at the hotel. The parking lot is…fine. Beige and soul-crushingly ordinary. The lobby? Smells faintly of chlorine and lukewarm sadness. Check-in. The front desk person (bless their heart) seems to have seen things. Wars. Famine. Probably a really bad review on Yelp. I ask for a room away from the ice machine. You never know. shudders. Success! Room key acquired, and a sigh of relief that I wasn't assigned next to the vending machine.
- 1:30 PM: Room exploration. Okay, it's…clean. Bed looks…mostly inviting. Bathroom… functional. The free shampoo smells like the ocean, which is a weird juxtaposition against the desert landscape outside. I seriously need to invest in some decent toiletries. And maybe a life.
- 2:00 PM: The Great Grocery Store Adventure. Gotta stock up on snacks. The hotel doesn't boast a continental breakfast that's going to get me through the weekend. So, off to the local grocery store. I was prepared for the worst. This area is notorious for being the 'gateway to everywhere else'. I grabbed a bag of chips (Salt & Vinegar, naturally), a suspicious looking pre-made burrito, and a bottle of water. My supplies are ready for my mini-apocalypse.
- 3:00 PM: Settling in the room is the pinnacle of excitement today. Maybe I'll watch some TV. Probably stare at the ceiling and think about all the things I’m not doing.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. The hotel, of course, doesn't have a restaurant. Looks like I'm going to find a chain restaurant nearby. Found a place called 'Chili's'. It's alright, the margarita was a bit strong, maybe that's the reason why I'm so relaxed. The waitress seemed a bit frazzled, like she'd been dealing with a herd of cranky tourists all day. I left a generous tip, because she deserved it.
- 7:30 PM: Back at the hotel. I really should catch up on emails and do some work, but I'm not feeling motivated at all. I decided to waste time by watching reality TV which is obviously a waste of time so I switch to a documentary on sea turtles.
- 9:00 PM: Bedtime. I'm already dreading tomorrow.
Day 2: Sacramento - Hopes and Dreams Crushed Under the Weight of Traffic
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. I'm still alive! Surprisingly, slept okay in that bed. But that breakfast at the hotel wasn't worth it. Maybe I should've taken my own precautions.
- 9:00 AM: Actually Attempt the Continental Breakfast. Toast. The usual sad cereal options. Pre-packaged muffins. And the coffee? Tastes like regret. I swear I saw someone's soul leave their body while they took a sip. Quickly retreat to my room.
- 10:00 AM: The dreaded drive into Sacramento. Traffic. Traffic. And more traffic. I get lost. Curse under my breath at the GPS. Finally, find parking near the Capitol building.
- 11:00 AM: Tour of the California State Capitol. Beautiful building, actually. Majestic architecture. I get completely overwhelmed. So many politicians, so many…things. I feel like I wandered on a film set.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a tiny cafe. Overpriced sandwiches and watery iced tea. At least the staff was nice.
- 2:00 PM: I go see Old Sacramento. It's…touristy. A bit cheesy, I admit. But actually, it's kind of charming. There are some interesting shops, I end up buying a silly hat that suits me.
- 4:00 PM: Drive back to the hotel. Traffic again, which is a pain. I'm getting tired of all the driving.
- 6:00 PM: I go on a short walk. I try to clear my head by taking a walk in the area. I encounter a stray cat, and become obsessed with him. He looks like he has a great life.
- 8:00 PM: I'm still eating the chips and burrito from yesterday. I should probably go out for dinner. But I'm too tired to. I have to recharge for tomorrow.
Day 3: Sacramento – Let the Escape Begin!
- 8:00 AM: Continental Breakfast, a repeat of yesterday. I start to suspect the muffins are sentient and judging me.
- 9:00 AM: Check-out. The front desk person barely looks up. They've seen worse, I'm sure.
- 9:30 AM: One last drive. I actually feel sad to leave, but at the same time, I'm ready for my own bed.
- 10:00 AM: Head for the highway. Freedom at last!
Quirky Observations & Emotional Reactions:
- The air conditioning in my room makes a noise like a dying dinosaur. I kept expecting it to breathe its last.
- The hotel hallways smell vaguely of disinfectant and forgotten dreams.
- I developed a complex relationship with that stray cat. I hope he's doing well.
- The burrito from the grocery store? Let's just say I'm happy I packed some Pepto-Bismol.
- Sacramento is a city of contrasts. Beautiful buildings, gritty streets, and people just trying to live.
- Leaving was a joy. But I think that I'd be back.
Imperfections & Messiness:
- I completely forgot to pack a toothbrush. Now I have to brush my teeth with my finger.
- I also forgot to do laundry and have to wear the same clothes for three days.
- I spent an obscene amount of time staring out the window, which I'm not sure if it was a waste.
- My itinerary? Let’s just say it was more of a suggestion.
- I have a terrible habit of overthinking everything.
Final Thoughts:
The Holiday Inn Express in West Sacramento? Perfectly adequate. Memorable? Not really. Did I survive it? Absolutely. Did I feel something? Yeah, probably. The road is long, but the journey is short - or something like that.
Escape to Paradise: La Min Hotel, Phu Quoc Island's Hidden Gem
Escape to West Sacramento: Your NOT-So-Perfect, But Still Pretty Great Holiday Inn Express Getaway! (FAQ)
Okay, seriously, why West Sacramento? Isn't that... West Sacramento?
Alright, alright, let's get this out of the way. Yeah, West Sacramento. It's not Paris. It's not even San Francisco (trust me, I've been there, and the hills... oy vey!). BUT! Hear me out. First off, the price. My wallet weeps tears of joy whenever I book a stay, compared to some of those bougie hotels in Sacramento. Secondly, LOCATION! Close to everything! Okay, maybe not everything, but close enough. The Golden 1 Center for concerts (yes, I've seen a concert there, and yes, I cried a little at the encore) Sacramento Zoo, Old Sacramento, the Raley Field. And, you know, sometimes you just need a low-key escape from REAL LIFE. Plus, the Holiday Inn Express in West Sac? It's got that familiar, comforting "clean and sterile" vibe that's perfect for a chill weekend.
Insider Tip: Don't judge a book by its cover, or a city by its name. West Sac has some hidden gems, like the River Walk. Seriously, go for a stroll. Even if you just end up people-watching, it's worth it.
What's the deal with the free breakfast? Is it REALLY free? And is it edible?
Ah, the free breakfast. The backbone of the budget traveler's existence. Yes, it's free. Technically. You paid for it in the room rate, but whatever, let's not split hair. Is it edible? Generally, yes. Think: slightly sad but perfectly acceptable scrambled eggs, those weird pre-cooked sausage patties that taste vaguely of... something. The waffles, though? Those are your friends. Get the waffles. Load 'em up with syrup. Don't be ashamed. I, personally, have been guilty of eating *at least* three waffles on more than one occasion. You *must* have the waffle! And the coffee? Okay, the coffee is usually... passable. Bring your own creamer, just in case.
Confession Time: One time, I was SO tired that I poured orange juice *into* my coffee. Don't judge me. I was running on fumes. Lesson learned: caffeinate first, think later.
Is the pool nice? Because I NEED a pool. Or at least a place to pretend I'm relaxing.
The pool... Ah, the pool. It's a pool. It's there. It's *usually* clean. Sometimes it's a little crowded with screaming kids. Sometimes you'll find stray pool noodles floating aimlessly. But, you know what? It's a pool! And after a long day of... whatever you're doing... a quick dip is kinda nice. Don't go in expecting a luxury spa experience. Lower your expectations slightly. Think "functional" rather than "fabulous." Bring a book. Pretend you're in a tropical paradise. (It helps if you close your eyes and imagine really, really hard.)
Personal Experience: I once saw a guy in a full-on Hawaiian shirt, Speedo (yikes), and a ridiculously large sun hat. Truly committed to the whole "vacation" vibe. That's the spirit! Be that guy! (Maybe skip the Speedo, though, unless you're comfortable with that level of commitment.)
What about parking? Do I have to wrestle with other guests for a spot?
Parking is generally okay. Not like, luxurious valet parking. Think more like "find-a-spot-and-hope-for-the-best" parking. You'll probably find a spot. I've never had a major parking incident at the West Sac Holiday Inn Express. But DO pay attention to posted signs and avoid blocking other cars. They get cranky, and honestly, I don't blame them. I get cranky too, especially before my morning coffee.
Pro Tip: Arrive early, especially if you're planning on attending a nearby event. Or, be prepared to walk a little. Exercise is good for you, right? (I say, as I contemplate another waffle...) Also, avoid parking near the dumpsters. Just trust me on this one.
Are there any downsides? Because nothing's perfect, right?
Okay, let's get real. Nothing's perfect. Sometimes the elevators are a little slow. Sometimes you can hear your neighbor's snoring. The Wi-Fi can be a bit... temperamental. And while it's generally clean, it's not like, pristine. Also, the rooms are a touch dated. And the location... okay, yeah, it's West Sacramento. You're not exactly in the heart of the action. But, let's be honest, you're trading luxury for affordability and convenience. And hey, the staff is usually pretty friendly. That's gotta count for something, right?
Rant Alert: The one MAJOR downside? THE NOISE. Specifically, the occasional sirens. They have some emergency services near the hotel. It's not the hotel's fault, but sometimes they wake you up in the middle of the night. BRUTAL. Bring earplugs. Seriously. You'll thank me later.
What can I do in West Sacramento and nearby areas? Give me some actual suggestions!
Okay, okay, here's the non-snarky part! Beyond the Holiday Inn Express, there's actually *stuff* to do! (Imagine that!).
- Old Sacramento State Historic Park: A must-see for history buffs and anyone who likes a good photo op. Think cobblestone streets, wooden walkways, and old-timey shops. Get an ice cream!
- Raley Field: Catch a River Cats baseball game! Even if you're not a baseball fan, it's a fun, casual experience. (And the food is pretty good!)
- California State Railroad Museum: Trains! Trains! Trains! A kid-friendly experience, or a fun trip down nostalgia lane. I, for one, love a good train.
- Sacramento Zoo: Cute animals! Get your picture taken with a flamingo! Bring sunscreen!
- River Walk: Explore the walking trails along the river! It's a great way to stretch your legs.
- Golden 1 Center (in Sacramento): Events, concerts!
Honest Truth: Yeah, you might have to drive a little to get to some of these things. But hey, you're on a mini-vacation! Embrace the journey!
So, should I book it or what?
Cozy Stay Spots

